For many, a home isn’t truly their own until both inside and out are everything they dreamed of. Having a great outdoor living space can give you and your loved ones a place to truly enjoy life. And with the help of a good landscaping consultant to guide you, those outdoor areas don’t have to be a summer-only feature of the home – they can be enjoyed throughout the year.
No two locations are identical, of course, and talking to your landscaping consultant will help you figure out the best options for your specific outdoor areas. But if you’re looking to enhance a deck, outdoor kitchen, gazebo, or other similar area, a few tips are almost universal. Here are a few things to remember.
- Heat matters. While in the summertime a simple fire is more of a light source and an ambiance feature, during the fall and winter fires can be the most important part of your outdoor space. Outdoor fireplaces fire pits in the middle of your patio are both excellent additions that will keep things warm for everyone. They also make a great spot to roast marshmallows or sip hot cocoa with your loved ones.
- Be sure to pay attention to lighting, too. LED lighting makes it easier to customize colors and other aspects of a space, and any kind of lighting when done effectively can add extra appeal to your patio or outdoor areas. Your landscaping consultant can help with this.
- Windbreaks are a good idea as well, especially for those nights that temps dip low. Even something as simple as a pergola with vined plants growing on it can add a little shield from the breezes, and when combined with the fire it makes things much more enjoyable.
- Don’t skimp on the outdoor kitchen if you’re serious about entertaining. A grill is great, but with a basic kitchen installed on the patio you avoid having to run inside and back out again to access things like a sink or a countertop to cut veggies on. Your landscaping consultant can help you design the perfect outdoor kitchen.
- Themes are a great way to capture the essence of the season, too. For example, adding a Christmas tree and some Christmas décor to the patio during the winter can make it more inviting and help visitors capture the holiday cheer. The same goes for Halloween, Fourth of July, and any other occasion. A little decoration can do a lot to make your outdoor space more inviting and enjoyable.
The bottom line is that when you invest in your outdoor living spaces you’re investing in your happiness. It’s an easy way to elevate your home even further.